Friday, March 13, 2009

day 8.

buon giorno from Venice, Italy!

today was...interesting. i got to fly over loads of snow-covered mountains today (and it was insane). i arrived at the airport, took a water bus all around Venice till we got to San Marco (St. Mark’s Square), and proceeded to walk up and down Venice streets (and steps) with all my luggage for 2 hours searching for my hotel. i think i started crying about 9 different times - even after an English-speaking Italian couple and an art seller told me where my hotel MIGHT be...ha. i then stumbled upon an angel (ok, a man..) who had been following me pretty much. i’d have to tell the whole story later, but he left his shop and came up to me and asked if i needed help (he spoke English). he then made a phone call and spoke to the person in lovely Italian, then told me where to go. i told him he was my hero and he said that if he was my hero, then i was his princess. i don’t know what that means, but i didn’t care, cause he saved my life! i actually saw him later when i headed out for dinner...

anyways, i literally collapsed when i got in my hotel room...then headed out for dinner at 6:30. i have fully decided that i will be eating as cheap as possible tomorrow so that i can spend money when i see Michaele and Ashley in Cortona :) yay! 

i am pumped to take a bunch of photos tomorrow! Venice is gorgeous...i literally have water right outside my bedroom window! (happy sigh)

anyways, a few things i learned today:


1. i think Italian people are just as frustrated when they can’t speak English (for example, the adorable lady that checked me in to the hotel could only say “sorry, i don’t speak english” and you could tell she wished she could say more, but....she was really nice)

2. Luca, that works at my hotel, has a dog that is literally a (Czech?) Wolf. kinda scary, kinda awesome..

3. lots of people speak English, you’d just never know...

4. if you are in doubt...ASK SOMEONE.

5. St. Mark’s Square is beautiful...and huge! everything is very tall

6. there are English and Italian menus at restaurants (don’t be fooled, they’ll probably charge you twice as much as the little stores on back streets)

7. i hate asking questions about directions...but i also realized that if i ever see anyone with luggage in Savannah, i will ask them if they need help

8. what was i thinking coming to a place that i can barely even greet people in their language??

9. some restaurants charge you just for coming to eat at the store (i.e. my charge was like 2.50 euros tonight...) :/

10. the most rewarding thing in the world is hearing an American talking near you :) ...and, of course, making it back to your hotel...


no pictures today! (after all, i lugged my camera on my back all day and wasn’t about to bring it out for going to dinner)

i’ll see what i can do tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment